Night-time Economy: Coronavirus

Treasury written question – answered on 3rd September 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Stuart Anderson Stuart Anderson Conservative, Wolverhampton South West

To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer, what financial support his Department is providing (a) nightclubs and (b) other business operating in the night time economy that have paused trading for a prolonged period of time as a result of the covid-19 outbreak.

Photo of Kemi Badenoch Kemi Badenoch The Exchequer Secretary

The Government is aware of the intense disruption to businesses in the night time economy caused by the pandemic, and has sympathy with all those affected. Businesses in this industry are currently able to benefit from the Government’s unprecedented package of support:

  • All retail, hospitality, and leisure businesses are benefitting from 100% business rates holiday for the entirety of the 2020-21 financial year, and if those businesses occupy a premise with a Rateable Value less than £51,000 they were also eligible for a cash grant from their local authority.
  • The Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme and Bounce Back Loan Scheme remain open and are ensuring that eligible businesses which are facing cash flow difficulties can access finance.
  • The Job Retention Scheme will remain open for firms to use until the end of October.
  • Finally, the Government has introduced a ban on evictions of commercial tenants for non-payment of rent, and has extended this until the end of September, and has published a Code of Practice to support best practice among landlords and tenants.

Government have implemented a cautious and phased approach to reopening the economy, guided at all times by medical and scientific experts. It is Government’s objective to return to our way of life as soon as possible, and we are continuously reviewing our guidance, considering both the risks to public health and to the economy. However, nightclubs continue to present a risk to public health, and these venues should remain closed or be supported by their local authority to adapt, for example by temporarily repurposing their premises.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.