Bereavement Benefits: Cohabitation

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 3rd September 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Alex Cunningham Alex Cunningham Shadow Minister (Justice)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, whether the right for unmarried couples to claim bereavement benefits will extend to people who do not live together but do have a child.

Photo of Mims Davies Mims Davies The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

Bereavement Support Payment is intended to help with the immediate costs of bereavement following the premature death of a spouse or civil partner. Whilst we intend to take forward a Remedial Order to extend this benefit to cohabitees with children, we have no plans to extend eligibility any further.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.