There are no prescribed target times for dealing with probate applications. The average time for a grant of probate to be issued following receipt of an application for January to March 2020 is set out below
Application submission to grant issue6
Document receipt to grant issue4,6
Source: HMCTS Core Case Data
1) HMCTS Core Case Data came into effect at the end of March 2019, following a transition between data systems recording information regarding The Probate Service
2) The average timeliness figures are produced by calculating the time from application/document receipt (which may be from an earlier period) to the grant issued made in that period.
3) Averages presented here may be based on a small number of grants. Where this occurs, any conclusion drawn from these will be limited.
4) Document receipt occurs after payment has been made and all accompanying paperwork has been received by HMCTS
5) Due to quality issues in the transition between data systems, the breakdown by type of grant has not been published for Q2 2019 (denoted by :).
6) For digital applications the receipt is instant but no work can start until the Will is sent to us. Therefore, for digital cases the measure of waiting times is from document receipt rather than the application submission.