Children: Disability and Special Educational Needs

Department for Education written question – answered on 15th July 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Lucas Lord Lucas Conservative

To ask Her Majesty's Government what plans they have to endorse the advice relating to children with special educational needs and disabilities outlined in the report by Stonewall An Introduction to Supporting LGBT Children and Young People: A guide for schools, colleges and settings, published in March; and what plans they have to issue their own guidance.

Photo of Baroness Berridge Baroness Berridge Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for International Trade) (Minister for Women), The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Education

Our ambition is for every child, no matter what challenges they face, to have access to a world-class education that sets them up for life. Schools and teachers are free to use their professional experience in how best to meet the needs of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities.

The department does not endorse guidance produced by external organisations. The department’s statutory relationships, sex and health education guidance states that all pupils should receive teaching on LGBT relationships during their school years. Secondary schools should include LGBT content in their teaching and primary schools are strongly encouraged to include families with same-sex parents when teaching about different types of family. Through these subjects, children will be taught about the importance of respectful relationships and the different types of loving and healthy relationships that exist.

The department does not currently have plans to produce more guidance. However, we will ensure that the new programme of support for the new subjects, including training materials, an implementation guide and case studies, are inclusive to all pupils.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.