Social Services: Coronavirus

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 8th July 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Matthew Offord Matthew Offord Conservative, Hendon

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, whether he has issued guidance to local authorities on ensuring that social care funding appeals continue during the covid-19 outbreak.

Photo of Helen Whately Helen Whately Minister of State (Department of Health and Social Care)

Complaints and escalation procedures remain the same as before the pandemic. Anyone who is unhappy about the way in which a local authority carries out a financial assessment for charging can make representations to the local authority through the complaints procedure which all local authorities are required to have.

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman has restarted suspended complaints and anticipates reopening for new complaints in the coming weeks. Members of the public will not lose their right of appeal, and complaints regarding the COVID-19 outbreak period will be considered in due course. The Ombudsman is not an emergency service, and members of the public are required by law to first have their complaints investigated by their council or care provider. The Ombudsman has also set up a helpline to give advice and support to concerned members of the public.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.