Flats: Insulation

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 7th July 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Hilary Benn Hilary Benn Chair, Committee on the Future Relationship with the European Union, Chair, Committee on the Future Relationship with the European Union

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, what support he is providing to leaseholders in buildings less than 18m high to enable the removal of unsafe cladding.

Photo of Christopher Pincher Christopher Pincher Minister of State (Housing, Communities and Local Government)

Building safety is the responsibility of the building owner, and they must remedy any safety risks uncovered. We have published advice from the Independent Expert Advisory Panel on the measures building owners should take to ensure their buildings are safe. This can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/building-safety-advice-for-building-owners-including-fire-doors. Building owners should consider all routes to meet costs, protecting leaseholders where they can – for example through warranties and recovering costs from contractors for incorrect or poor work.

The Government has also allocated additional funding to the Leasehold Advisory Service (LEASE) to provide independent, free, initial advice to leaseholders on building safety issues to ensure they are aware of their rights and are supported to understand the terms of their leases.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.