UK Shared Prosperity Fund

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 6th July 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jim Shannon Jim Shannon Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Human Rights), Shadow DUP Spokesperson (Health)

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, if he will make an assessment of the effect on beneficiaries of the transition from the European Social Fund to the Shared Prosperity Fund.

Photo of Simon Clarke Simon Clarke Minister of State (Housing, Communities and Local Government)

The Government understands the importance of local growth funding to places and people and is committed to creating the UK Shared Prosperity Fund to succeed European structural funds, providing vital investment in local economies, cutting out bureaucracy and levelling up those parts of the UK whose economies are furthest behind.

Furthermore, the 2019 Conservative Manifesto committed to targeting the UK Shared Prosperity Fund at the UK’s specific needs, at a minimum matching the size of European structural funds in each nation and ensuring that £500 million of the Fund is used to give disadvantaged people the skills they need to make a success of life.

As we approach the transition from the European Social Fund to the UK Shared Prosperity Fund, we will continue to engage with partners, in order to aid policy development. Under the terms of the European Union (Withdrawal Agreement) Act 2020, the UK continues to participate in EU annual budgets under the current Multiannual Financial Framework (2014-2020 MFF). As a result, England and the devolved administrations continue to have access to EU Structural and Investment Funds and spending through these programmes will continue until 2023.

Final decisions on the UK Shared Prosperity Fund will need to be made through a cross-Government Spending Review, and we will set out further plans for the fund in due course.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.