Rented Housing: Antisocial Behaviour

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 16th June 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Clive Betts Clive Betts Chair, Levelling Up, Housing and Communities Committee, Chair, Levelling Up, Housing and Communities Committee

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, what powers local authorities have to tackle tenants who breach their tenancy agreement as a result of anti social behaviour.

Photo of Christopher Pincher Christopher Pincher Minister of State (Housing, Communities and Local Government)

Landlords have the power to seek the repossession of a tenant’s home for serious breaches of their tenancy agreement on the grounds of anti social behaviour.

Landlords may still serve a notice of intention of seeking possession during this period which must be for a minimum of 3 months. No court proceedings can be commenced until the 3 month notice period has expired.

Landlords may also, where appropriate, work with their local authority to use the powers available via the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 which offers a wide range of flexible non-possession approaches to tackling anti-social behaviour. The remedies include the use of injunctions, closure orders and community protection notices.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes3 people think so

No2 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.