Housing: Students

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 21st May 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Andrew Rosindell Andrew Rosindell Conservative, Romford

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, what steps he is taking to ensure that university accommodation and student accommodation landlords whose properties are not being used during the covid-19 outbreak offer refunds to their tenants.

Photo of Christopher Pincher Christopher Pincher Minister of State (Housing, Communities and Local Government)

The negotiation of early releases from contracts is a matter between the parties concerned. During these unprecedented times, the Government encourages student accommodation providers, landlords, letting agencies and tenants to take a pragmatic, flexible approach and have a frank and open conversation at the earliest opportunity, to allow both parties to agree a sensible way forward. 

Students are able to end or surrender their fixed term tenancy early if they reach an agreement with their accommodation provider or landlord. Where students have a joint tenancy agreement, all tenants will need to agree to the surrender.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.