Universities: Staff

Department for Education written question – answered on 20th May 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Taylor of Warwick Lord Taylor of Warwick Non-affiliated

To ask Her Majesty's Government what discussions they have had with Universities UK about the number of universities who have furloughed academic personnel.

Photo of Baroness Berridge Baroness Berridge Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for International Trade) (Minister for Women), The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Education

As both my right hon. Friends, the Prime Minister and Chancellor of the Exchequer have made clear, the government will do whatever it takes to support people affected by COVID-19.

Since my right hon. Friend, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, announced this government’s unprecedented package of support to help keep staff employed and support businesses, the department has developed guidance for higher education providers so that they are aware of the support that is available to them and may confidently apply for it.

That guidance is available here:


In developing this guidance, the department worked with trade unions as well as Universities UK (UUK) and the Universities & Colleges Employers Association (UCEA). The department is working with HMRC and HM Treasury to develop appropriate monitoring arrangements for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS).

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.