Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

High Rise Flats: Insulation

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 6th May 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Shabana Mahmood Shabana Mahmood Labour, Birmingham, Ladywood

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, if he will make representations to the Chancellor of the Exchequer on the provision of financial support to leaseholders of properties cladded in non-ACM flammable materials that have seen significant increases to insurance premiums following the Grenfell fire.

Photo of Christopher Pincher Christopher Pincher Minister of State (Housing, Communities and Local Government)

My Department is aware that some high rise residential blocks are experiencing difficulties in securing buildings insurance and that premiums have often substantially increased. Decisions concerning the pricing and availability of insurance remain commercial decisions for lenders. Engaging with an insurance provider or broker as early as possible is the best route to ensuring correctly priced insurance cover. However, the Government does recognise the impact which increased premiums is having on residents of some high rise residential buildings and will continue to explore what steps can be taken to deal with this issue.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.