Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Poland: Elections

Foreign and Commonwealth Office written question – answered on 5th May 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Alderdice Lord Alderdice Deputy Chairman of Committees

To ask Her Majesty's Government what plans they have to ensure that Polish citizens living in the UK are able to vote in the Polish Presidential election on 10 May; what steps they are taking to ensure voting at the Polish Embassy is considered a legitimate essential duty; and what discussions they have had with the government of Poland about the steps being taken to ensure that adequate social distancing measures are in place at the Embassy when the election is held. [T]

Photo of Baroness Sugg Baroness Sugg The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for International Development, The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs

On 3 April, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) issued guidance to all missions in the United Kingdom setting out our expectation that countries intending to conduct Out of Country Voting should enable citizens to vote in a way compatible with current social distancing guidelines, for instance through postal voting or in-country representatives. The Polish parliament is currently considering draft legislation to allow for universal postal voting in the Polish presidential elections on 10 May. Senior FCO officials have received assurances from the Polish authorities that the proposed elections will be organised as a postal vote and that Polish citizens in the United Kingdom are not expected to vote in person. The Polish authorities have confirmed that consular and electoral commission staff organising the postal vote will respect social distancing guidelines at all times.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.