Universal Credit: Overseas Visitors

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 23rd April 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Fleur Anderson Fleur Anderson Labour, Putney

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, if she will extend universal credit eligibility to self-employed individuals residing in the UK on overseas visas.

Photo of Mims Davies Mims Davies The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

Holding answer received on 21 April 2020

Eligibility for Universal Credit depends on a person’s immigration status in the UK. DWP operates a Habitual Residence Test (HRT) in order to assess whether individuals have legal right to reside for the purpose of accessing benefits and are factually habitually resident.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.