Public Houses: Coronavirus

Treasury written question – answered on 26th March 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Caroline Lucas Caroline Lucas Green, Brighton, Pavilion

To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer, if he will take steps to require (a) private and (b) Pub Co landlords to grant a three month business rents holiday to pubs that are in financial difficulties as a result of the covid-19 outbreak; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Jesse Norman Jesse Norman The Financial Secretary to the Treasury

The Government has already moved to support residential renters by ensuring landlords are unable to start eviction proceedings for at least a three-month period; this now applies to businesses renting commercial properties.

The Government is also temporarily increasing the Business Rates retail discount in England to 100% for 2020-21 for all properties in the retail, leisure and hospitality sectors, including pubs, in response to Covid-19.

Finally, the HMRC Time To Pay Scheme is in place for all businesses and self-employed people in financial distress to provide support with their tax affairs.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes3 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.