Private Rented Housing: Energy

Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy written question – answered on 24th March 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Alex Cunningham Alex Cunningham Labour, Stockton North

To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, what steps his Department has taken to ensure that energy efficiency measures are implemented in the private rented sector.

Photo of Kwasi Kwarteng Kwasi Kwarteng The Minister of State, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy

The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property)(England and wales) Regulations 2015 require that, subject to certain exemptions, domestic and non-domestic private rented sector landlords improve their properties to a minimum energy efficiency rating of E by: April 2020 for domestic property; and April 2023 for non-domestic property.

The Department has published detailed guidance to assist landlords in complying with their obligations under the existing regulations, and is conducting enforcement pilots with Local Authorities to develop best practice around enforcement of the regulations. The Department has also launched a landlord exemptions register, a requirement of the Regulations, which is used by enforcement authorities to help target their enforcement activities.

On 15 October 2019, the government published a consultation on the future target for the non-domestic private rented sector regulations alongside the government’s response to the Committee on Climate Change Progress Report. The consultation, which closed on 7 January 2020, set out that the government’s preferred target was for all non-domestic rented buildings to achieve an EPC Band B by 2030, where cost-effective. A government response is due to be published later this year. The government will also consult in due course on options for tightening the standards required of domestic private rented properties over time.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.