Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder


Ministry of Justice written question – answered on 23rd March 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Antony Higginbotham Antony Higginbotham Conservative, Burnley

To ask the Secretary of State for Justice, how many and what proportion of offenders convicted of serious offences have reoffended within 12 months of their release from prison in the latest period for which figures are available.

Photo of Lucy Frazer Lucy Frazer The Minister of State, Ministry of Justice

This Government is committed to reducing reoffending by ensuring all offenders have the tools they need to turn their backs on crime. The Ministry of Justice regards every crime as serious, so does not group offence types on that basis. The ‘Proven Reoffending Type Data Tool, January to December 2016, England and Wales’ can be used to look at the various reoffending rates for specific offence categories:

As an example, from this toolkit, the relevant reoffending rates for a selection of index offences were:

Proven reoffending of adult offenders released from custody, by selected index offence type (January-December 2016 cohort)


Number of Reoffenders

Reoffending Rate (%)

Violence against the person












Possession of Weapons




  1. The January-December 2016 cohort in the table above refers to all adult offenders in the calendar year who were released from custody. A proven reoffence is then defined as any offence committed in a one-year follow-up period that resulted in a court conviction or caution in this timeframe or a further six month waiting period to allow time for cases to progress through the courts.

  2. The index offence is the proven offence that leads to an offender being included in the cohort.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.