NHS 111: Hearing Impairment

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 18th March 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Liz Twist Liz Twist Opposition Whip (Commons)

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what steps his Department is taking to promote alternative methods for contacting 111 for people with hearing loss through (a) GPs and (b) other healthcare professionals.

Photo of Edward Argar Edward Argar Minister of State (Department of Health and Social Care)

The National Health Service produces a range of materials to promote the NHS 111 service (including ways for deaf people to access the service), which are available to all healthcare professionals. NHS England also engages with a wide number of charities and third-party organisations to promote NHS 111 to the deaf and hard of hearing community.

A deaf or hard of hearing person can speak to NHS 111 through a British Sign Language interpreting service. Relay UK is also available for people who have difficulty communicating or hearing whilst the online NHS 111 service can also be accessed if medical advice is required.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.