Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Health Services

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered at on 18 March 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Caroline Lucas Caroline Lucas Green, Brighton, Pavilion

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, if he will take steps to expand NHS specialist chronic fatigue syndrome services in (a) Sussex (b) Kent and (c) other areas across the UK; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Helen Whately Helen Whately Minister of State (Department of Health and Social Care)

Services for people with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) are commissioned by local clinical commissioning groups (CCGs). It is the responsibility of the local National Health Service commissioners to ensure NHS services are commissioned to meet local need, including for specialist CFS care, taking into account best practice guidance, such as that produced by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE).

The NICE clinical guideline, ‘Chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (or encephalopathy): Diagnosis and management of CFS/ME in adults and children’ sets out best practice in the referral of people the with condition to specialist services. The guidance makes specific recommendations on the circumstances in which clinicians should consider referring a patient for specialist care. The guideline can be found at the following link:

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No5 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.