Pupils: Exercise

Department for Education written question – answered on 1st April 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Taylor of Warwick Lord Taylor of Warwick Non-affiliated

To ask Her Majesty's Government what steps they are taking, if any, to ensure girls in primary schools meet the recommended levels of activity in the UK.

Photo of Baroness Berridge Baroness Berridge Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for International Trade) (Minister for Women), The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Education

The government published its ‘School sport and activity action plan’ in July 2019. It set out cross-government action to provide children with greater opportunity to take part in the recommended 60 minutes of sport and physical activity every day, on average. This included actions relevant to supporting girls in primary school to be more active.

Since 2013, the government has provided over £1 billion to primary schools to improve the quality of their physical education (PE) provision, through the PE and Sport Premium. Details can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/pe-and-sport-premium-an-investigation-in-primary-schools.

The government is working to promote girls’ and women’s sport more widely. Sport England will provide £1 million funding to help girls’ confidence to take part in sport and activity as part of the successful This Girl Can campaign, which has already inspired over 3.9 million women and girls to take steps to get active.

The government will publish an updated school and sport activity plan following the Comprehensive Spending Review and will consider what more can be done to promote physical activity by girls to include in that plan. Ahead of that, the Budget has confirmed that £90 million will be provided over the next four years to support primary school PE teaching and help schools make best use of their sports facilities.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.