At present, the Department for Education is undertaking reviews in the following areas.
- As set out in the manifesto, we are preparing to undertake a review of the care system which will consider how we support vulnerable children and young people in order to meet their needs and improve their outcomes.
- A cross-government review into support for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities, as announced in 2019.
- A review of Post-16 Qualifications at level 3 and below to ensure that every qualification has a distinct purpose, is high quality and supports progression to positive outcomes.
- The Headteachers’ Standards Review as announced by my right hon. Friend, the Minister of State for School Standards in July last year to review the National Standards of Headteachers guidance last updated in 2004.
- In last year’s teacher recruitment and retention strategy, Ministers committed to carrying out a review of system leadership to improve the quality and cost-effectiveness of teaching schools and National Leaders of Education.
In addition, Dame Mary Ney’s review of college financial oversight and Dame Shirley Pearce’s review of the Teaching Excellence and Student Outcomes Framework recently concluded. We will publish the reports and the government’s responses in due course.