Erasmus+ Programme

Department for Education written question – answered on 21st January 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Peter Kyle Peter Kyle Labour, Hove

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, pursuant to Answer of 4 November 2019 to Question 1081 on Erasmus+, what recent discussions he has had with the European Commission on the UK's participation in Erasmus in the event of the UK leaving the EU (a) with and (b) without a deal.

Photo of Chris Skidmore Chris Skidmore Minister of State (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy) (Universities and Science) (Joint with the Department for Education)

The terms of the Withdrawal Agreement mean students, young people and learners will be able to participate fully in the remainder of the current programme and organisations can continue to bid for Erasmus+ funding up to the end of 2020.

As stated in the Political Declaration, the UK is open to participate in certain EU programmes, such as the next Erasmus+ programme (2021-27), if it is in our interest to do so. The proposed regulations for the next 2021-27 Erasmus+ programme are still being discussed in the EU and have yet to be finalised.

In light of the successful vote at Second Reading of the Withdrawal Agreement Bill, the UK will leave the EU with a deal on 31 January 2020. Our future participation in the next Erasmus+ programme will be subject to negotiations on the UK – EU relationship, during 2020. Formal discussions with the EU on programme participation cannot begin until draft regulations have concluded. Both the EU and the UK committed to do a deal by the end of 2020 in the Political Declaration.

My officials and I are preparing for every potential outcome of these negotiations and are considering a wide range of options with regards to the future of international exchange and collaboration in education and training, including potential domestic alternatives.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.