Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Endometriosis: Health Services

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 21st January 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Alex Chalk Alex Chalk Conservative, Cheltenham

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what plans his Department has to improve healthcare for women with endometriosis.

Photo of Caroline Dinenage Caroline Dinenage Minister of State (Department of Health and Social Care)

The National Health Service provides clinical care and treatment for women with endometriosis, including treatment for severe endometriosis through specialised centres across England.

To support women with endometriosis, all obstetricians and gynaecologists have been trained in the diagnosis, investigation and management of the condition, which is specifically listed as a topic in the core curriculum for obstetrics and gynaecology.

NHS England recommends the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology guidelines on the management of women with endometriosis. The guidance offers best practice advice on the diagnosis and treatment of women with suspected endometriosis as well as the effectiveness of medically assisted reproduction for endometriosis-associated infertility. It also provides information on the management of patients in whom endometriosis is found incidentally (without pain or infertility).

NHS England also expects providers to adhere to National Institute for Health and Care Excellence guidance regarding the diagnosis, management and treatment of endometriosis.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No2 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.