We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Travellers: Caravan Sites

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 5th November 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Andrew Selous Andrew Selous Conservative, South West Bedfordshire

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, what steps his Department is taking in response to the consultation entitled Powers for dealing with unauthorised development and encampments; and when he plans to implement the measures proposed in that consultation.

Photo of Esther McVey Esther McVey Minister of State (Housing, Communities and Local Government)

Many of the measures set out in the government response to the consultation on powers for dealing with unauthorised developments and encampments are being progressed or have already been delivered. These include £1.79 million awarded to 37 planning authorities to support enforcement activities and the publication of a Written Ministerial Statement on 6 February (HCWS1305) on transit sites and intentional unauthorised developments.

Furthermore, in support of authorised encampments, local authorities can bid for funding for permanent traveller sites through the 2016-21 Shared Ownership and Affordable Homes Programme, along with other forms of affordable housing. The New Homes Bonus will match fund the additional council tax raised for new homes, including traveller pitches. Other measures still to be implemented by the Department includes strengthening policy on intentional unauthorised development.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No2 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.