We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Peers: Harassment

The Senior Deputy Speaker written question – answered on 30th October 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Blencathra Lord Blencathra Chair, Delegated Powers and Regulatory Reform Committee

To ask the Senior Deputy Speaker what representations, if any, the House of Lords Administration has made to the Metropolitan Police regarding protestors intimidating Parliamentarians leaving the Parliamentary Estate.

Photo of Lord McFall of Alcluith Lord McFall of Alcluith Chair, Freedom of Information Advisory Panel (Lords), Chair, Hybrid Instruments Committee (Lords), Chair, Liaison Committee (Lords), Chair, Committee for Privileges and Conduct (Lords), Chair, Procedure Committee (Lords), Chair, Committee of Selection (Lords), Chair, Standing Orders (Private Bills) Committee (Lords), Chair, Sub-Committee on Leave of Absence, The Senior Deputy Speaker

The Parliamentary Security Department (PSD) works closely with the Metropolitan Police (MPS). PSD officials meet with the MPS frequently to discuss anticipated or ongoing issues, which can include intimidation of Parliamentarians and staff by protestors when entering and leaving the estate.

PSD holds a weekly meeting with the MPS, Black Rod and the Serjeant at Arms to assess forthcoming events for potential issues around access and security, enabling PSD and MPS responses to be updated accordingly. For security reasons we do not provide details of security arrangements.

When high levels of protest activity are expected, Parliamentarians are sent communications advising them of access information and security advice. Parliamentarians are also encouraged to raise any security concerns with the Director of Security for Parliament, and to raise access queries with Black Rod.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.