Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Ethiopia: Nutrition

Department for International Development written question – answered on 29th October 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Bambos Charalambous Bambos Charalambous Labour, Enfield, Southgate

To ask the Secretary of State for International Development, what steps his Department is taking to integrate nutrition into its health programmes in Ethiopia.

Photo of Andrew Stephenson Andrew Stephenson Assistant Whip, Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (Joint with the Department for International Development)

The UK is a leading donor supporting the Government of Ethiopia to integrate nutrition into health programmes in Ethiopia.

Under the Accelerating Reduction of Undernutrition in Ethiopia programme (£49m, 2013-2018), we supported the transition of service delivery for nutrition screening, Vitamin A supplementation and deworming from resource-intensive donor-financed campaign-based delivery, into fully government funded routine service delivery in the four regions with the highest rates of stunting in Ethiopia.

DFID continues to support the Government of Ethiopia in delivering nutrition programmes as part of routine heath service delivery. Currently the Sustaining and Accelerating Primary Health in Ethiopia programme (£250m,2015-2020) is supporting the first 1000+ days nutrition initiative, the provision of micronutrient supplies and implementation of the Seqota declaration. This aims to end hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture in the worst affected parts of the country. Our Building Resilience in Ethiopia Programme (£262m, 2017-2022) is also working to respond to nutrition emergencies, reducing reliance on parallel humanitarian response.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.