Immigration: EU Nationals

Home Office written question – answered on 5th November 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi Labour, Slough

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, whether EU citizens that have renewed their passport are able to provide evidence of their new passport number to the EU Settlement Scheme by (a) submitting their new passport via recorded delivery and (b) scanning their new passport using the mobile app.

Photo of Brandon Lewis Brandon Lewis The Minister of State, Home Department

EU citizens can access their status online by entering the document number from the identity document they used in their application (even if this document has expired), plus their date of birth.

Identity document updates currently require applicants to post their new identity documents to the Home Office as supporting evidence and to protect against identity fraud, however we are continuing to deliver improvements to make these processes as user friendly as possible by making them entirely online.

In the short term, if applicants wish to add new identity documents to their status profile they can do so using the existing Update My Details process in their online profile. This currently requires them to post their new identity documents to the Home Office for manual verification.

The requirement to post identity documents in for a straightforward new document update (where no identity details have changes) is a temporary one, and applicants could choose to wait until the service is available online to update these details.

We are currently working on delivering a fast, secure and user friendly process for applicants to add new identity documents to their status profile through an entirely online process and expect this service to be available in the coming months. The mobile app will be available to applicants as an option when a document check is required as part of the update, meaning applicants will no longer need to post their document to the Home Office.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.