We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Genito-urinary Medicine

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 30th October 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Robert Halfon Robert Halfon Chair, Education Committee

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, if he will (a) introduce a national sexual health strategy to tackle increases in the levels of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and (b) allocate funding to testing for all STIs in sexual health clinics in England.

Photo of Jo Churchill Jo Churchill The Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Health and Social Care

We have made excellent progress in some aspects of sexual and reproductive health, for example reducing new HIV infections and teenage pregnancy, but we are concerned about the worrying increases in some sexually transmitted infections. To address this, we announced on 24 October a new sexual health strategy to ensure that people know how to protect themselves, and can access the services they need for good sexual and reproductive health.

The Government provides funding to local authorities for public health services, including sexual health services, through the ringfenced public health grant. It is for local authorities to determine how the public health grant is allocated in their local areas to meet their needs. Sexual health service providers should ensure commissioned services are in line with current national guidance, standards of training and care and quality indicators.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.