Syria: British Nationals Abroad

Foreign and Commonwealth Office written question – answered on 21st October 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Caroline Lucas Caroline Lucas Green, Brighton, Pavilion

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, with reference to the BBC video report by journalist Fred Scott dated 13 October on three UK orphans in Syria, if she will take steps to return (a) those UK orphans and (b) other UK children in a similar position to the UK; and if she will make a statement.

Photo of Andrew Murrison Andrew Murrison Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (Joint with the Department for International Development)

We are urgently considering how we can assist UK orphans. Given the UK has no consular presence in Syria, this is extremely difficult. The Foreign Secretary has made clear that the Government will seek to assist any British unaccompanied minors and orphans in Syria, who are brought to our attention.

Our advice to any British national abroad who needs emergency help from the British Government is to contact the nearest British Embassy or Consulate, which in this case will be outside Syria. If a minor is unable to do so, a request can be made on their behalf. British nationals can also call the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in London 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The number is clearly advertised on FCO Syria Travel Advice pages.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.