We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Immigration: Married People

Home Office written question – answered on 5th November 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Seema Malhotra Seema Malhotra Labour/Co-operative, Feltham and Heston

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what assessment she has made of the potential effect of the UK leaving the EU without a deal on the right to (a) live and (b) work in the UK of a German national marrying a British citizen.

Photo of Brandon Lewis Brandon Lewis The Minister of State, Home Department

If the UK leaves the European Union on 31 October without a deal, EU citizens will, for a transitional period before the new points-based immigration system is implemented from January 2021, be able to move to the UK to live and work as they do now. If they wish to remain here after 31 December 2020, they will need by then to apply, free of charge, for 36 months’ European Temporary Leave to Remain or apply for leave under the new system. More information about these arrangements is available here:


UK nationals living in the EU at exit will be able to return to the UK with their family members for a period after exit under current arrangements based on EU law, including until 31 December 2020 with a spouse married after exit. More information about these arrangements is available here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/policy-paper-on-the-rights-of-uk-nationals-in-the-eu

Otherwise, EU citizens moving to the UK from January 2021 will, like non-EU citizens, need to meet the requirements of the new points-based immigration system.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.