Health Services: British Nationals Abroad

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 8th October 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jon Ashworth Jon Ashworth Shadow Secretary of State for Health

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what guidance his department has issued to British citizens living in the EU on how to access heathcare after the UK leaves the EU.

Photo of Edward Argar Edward Argar Minister of State (Department of Health and Social Care)

Everyone living in the European Union is strongly encouraged to think about their own healthcare needs and circumstances and consider the steps they need to take to be assured of continuing healthcare coverage.

I laid a Written Ministerial Statement (HCWS1832) on 26 September 2019, which sets out the current status of arrangements with Member States and outlines in detail the support which the UK Government will provide should the United Kingdom leave the EU without a deal.

The Government has produced detailed advice for each country which can be accessed at the following link:

We will provide more information as the situation develops so people are clear on what they will need in each country. People can also sign up to email alerts to check these country guides regularly as the situation may change as the UK gets closer to leaving the EU.

The NHS Business Services Authority has sent a letter to S1 holders living in EU and European Free Trade Association Member States, encouraging individuals to consider their circumstances and options and to take the necessary steps to ensure they have appropriate coverage in place. A copy of the letter is available at the following link:

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.