Sex and Relationship Education: Home Education

Department for Education written question – answered on 4th October 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Steve Reed Steve Reed Shadow Minister (Education) (Children and Families)

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what steps his Department is taking to ensure children who are educated outside the school setting can access Relationships, Health and Sex Education (RSE).

Photo of Nick Gibb Nick Gibb Minister of State (Education)

The requirement to teach the new subjects of relationships education at primary level and relationships and sex education at secondary level will apply to maintained schools. This applies to maintained special schools; academy schools and academy special schools; independent schools, including independent special schools; and pupil referral units and non-maintained special schools.

Health education at primary and secondary levels will apply to all schools that will be required to teach relationships education and relationships and sex education (RSE) except independent schools. Independent schools are already required to teach personal, social, health and economic education.

Other schools are encouraged to teach all or part of the content of the guidance on relationships, sex and health education as they deem appropriate in meeting the needs of their pupils.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No6 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.