Social security Benefits: Special Educational Needs

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 4th October 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Maria Eagle Maria Eagle Labour, Garston and Halewood

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what steps she is taking to ensure that young people with SEND who are (a) in full-time further education and (b) aged 20 or above have sufficient financial support to complete their studies.

Photo of Justin Tomlinson Justin Tomlinson The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

The Department for Education will be investing over £700 million in additional high needs funding to support young people with complex special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) in education. This represents an increase of over 11% on the funding available this year, bringing the total high needs funding budget to over £7 billion.

Every local authority will see a minimum increase of 8% per head of 2 to 18 population to their high needs funding. The Department for Education will provide provisional allocations for individual local authorities in October.

A disabled student determined to have Limited Capability for Work (Work Related Activity Group) or Limited Capability for Work Related Activity (Support Group), in receipt of PIP/DLA, who has moved from Employment and Support Allowance to Universal Credit following a change in circumstances, with no break in their claim will meet the criteria to receive Universal Credit.

A person requiring financial support is able to claim Universal Credit alongside their PIP/DLA payments.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.