Private Rented Housing

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 7th October 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jo Stevens Jo Stevens Labour, Cardiff Central

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, pursuant to the Answer of 11 July 2019 to Question 274566 on Private Rented Housing, what steps his Department is taking to discourage landlords from refusing tenants on (a) housing benefit and (b) universal credit.

Photo of Esther McVey Esther McVey Minister of State (Housing, Communities and Local Government)

Holding answer received on 30 September 2019

As the single largest payer of rents in the country, the government wants to ensure that prospective tenants who receive housing support are not dismissed out of hand. That is why the government has committed to tackling the issue of private letting advertisements that specify ‘No DSS’ tenants.

In June, the government met industry representatives at No.10 Downing Street, including mortgage providers, insurance representatives, landlord associations, tenant groups, and property websites to determine what action could be taken.

I’m pleased to say that at the meeting, Metro Bank pledged to remove ‘No DSS’ conditions from their mortgage products. In August, The Mortgage Lender also announced that they were lifting ‘No DSS’ restrictions. These changes build on commitments from NatWest and Nationwide and evidence now suggests that nearly all new buy-to-let mortgages have no restrictions on letting tenants in receipt of benefits.

Since the ministerial roundtable at No. 10 Downing Street in June, the government has continued to work with landlords’, letting agencies’, lenders’, insurance providers’, and tenants’ representatives to explore the scope for joint communications to discourage the practice of preventing benefit claimants from applying for private rental sector lettings.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.