Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government: Energy Supply

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 7th October 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Nicholas Dakin Nicholas Dakin Opposition Whip (Commons)

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, which provider supplies energy to his Department; how much CO2 was emitted through his Department’s energy consumption in the latest period for which figures are available; whether the criteria his Department uses to select an energy supplier includes how environmentally friendly the supplier is; and what recent steps his Department has taken to reduce CO2 emissions from its energy use.

Photo of Jake Berry Jake Berry Minister of State (Cabinet Office), Minister of State (Cabinet Office) (jointly with the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government)

The Department is mandated to use the Crown Commercial Service (CCS) Energy frameworks for the supply of gas, electricity and liquid fuels. The CCS competes the frameworks on the open market and the criteria used to select energy suppliers is set by Crown Commercial Services. The current suppliers of each of these services are as follow:

  • EDF (Half-Hourly electricity);
  • British Gas (Non Half-Hourly electricity);
  • Corona (gas); and
  • various suppliers (liquid fuels).

In 2018/19, the Department emitted 5,241 t/CO2e through its energy use which represents a 70 per cent reduction compared to 2009/10. This has been achieved largely through improved building management (primarily relating to heating and cooling), adopting more resource efficient behaviours, more efficient use of space, and co-location.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.