Multiple Occupation: Planning

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 4th October 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jack Lopresti Jack Lopresti Conservative, Filton and Bradley Stoke

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, what assessment he has made of the potential merits of local authorities using the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 Article 4 powers to restrict the number of Houses in Multiple Occupation in defined areas.

Photo of Esther McVey Esther McVey Minister of State (Housing, Communities and Local Government)

Under a national permitted development right, a private house is able to change use to a House in Multiple Occupation for up to six people sharing facilities without the need for a planning application. Change of use to a larger House in Multiple Occupation requires an application for planning permission.

Where there is sufficient evidence that it is necessary to protect local amenity or the wellbeing of a specific area, a local planning authority may withdraw a permitted development right using an Article 4 direction. This would mean any change of use to a House in Multiple Occupation for up to six people sharing facilities would also require an application for planning permission. It will be for the local planning authority to consult on and consider the merits of such an approach, using local evidence on a case by case basis.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.