Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Education: EU Nationals

Department for Education written question – answered on 30th September 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Gavin Shuker Gavin Shuker Independent, Luton South

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what guidance his Department has issued to schools on the eligibility of EU citizens without settled status to receive state-funded education up to the age of 18.

Photo of Nick Gibb Nick Gibb Minister of State (Education)

Schools and local authorities cannot take into account nationality or immigration status when deciding which pupils to admit, and there will be no change to this after exiting the EU. Parents or carers of pupils who are EU, EEA or Swiss citizens will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 2020.

The Department has issued advice for schools on how to prepare for exiting the EU, which includes information on the EU Settlement Scheme and on accessing school places after exiting the EU. The guidance is available at:

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.