Visas: EU Countries

Department for Exiting the European Union written question – answered on 4th October 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Patrick Grady Patrick Grady SNP Chief Whip

To ask the Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, what assessment he has made of the merits of visa-free travel between the UK and the EU for short work visits after the UK leaves the EU.

Photo of James Duddridge James Duddridge Chair, High Speed Rail (West Midlands - Crewe) Bill Select Committee (Commons) , Chair, High Speed Rail (West Midlands - Crewe) Bill Select Committee (Commons) , The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union

In a deal scenario, UK nationals and EU citizens will be able to travel to each others’ countries as now for the duration of an implementation period. We have said that we want to see visa-free arrangements for short term business visits as part of the future relationship, and will discuss how to facilitate the temporary mobility of self-employed professionals and employees providing services. The detail of this will be discussed in the next phase of negotiations.

The EU has confirmed that it will grant UK nationals visa-free travel to the EU for short stays after exit, even in a no deal scenario. This includes travel for purposes such as attending business meetings. Member States may require a visa if UK nationals intend to work and so UK nationals planning to undertake paid work in the EU should check with the Embassy of the countries they plan to travel to for what kind of visa or permit, if any, they will need. Further information can also be found on the FCO’s country-specific travel pages and on our advice pages for UK businesses on

On 5 September 2019, to provide certainty to businesses, HMG announced in a policy paper that in the event of a no deal exit, EU citizens coming to the UK will be able to visit and work as they do now (meaning they will not require a visa in advance of their arrival in the UK). The policy paper can be accessed at GOV.UK via this link.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes3 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.