Low incomes: Food

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 4th October 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Tom Brake Tom Brake Liberal Democrat Spokesperson (Exiting the European Union), Liberal Democrat Spokesperson (Duchy of Lancaster)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what assessment her Department has made of the implications for her policies of the Sustain Alliance’s report entitled, Brexit food resilience for the people who need it most; and what steps her Department has taken to establish a hardship fund to ensure that vulnerable people are not affected by the disruption highlighted in (a) that report and (b) Operation Yellowhammer.

Photo of Hugh Gaffney Hugh Gaffney Labour, Coatbridge, Chryston and Bellshill

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what recent assessment she has made of the effect on food poverty levels of the UK leaving the EU without a deal.

Photo of Neil Gray Neil Gray Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Work and Pensions)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what steps her Department is taking to prevent food insecurity after the UK leaves the EU.

Photo of Justin Tomlinson Justin Tomlinson The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

The Government has been clear that leaving the EU with a deal is its preferred option.

The Government has put in place contingency plans for a range of exit scenarios. These contingencies ensure that DWP can continue to provide our vital services and that individuals will continue to be able to access DWP benefits and services on the same basis as they do now.

The Government is committed to providing a strong safety-net through the welfare system. We continue to spend over £95 billion a year on benefits for people of working age. DWP continues to monitor the effects of EU exit on the economy. Rates of benefits continue to be reviewed in line with the relevant legislation for uprating.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.