Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder


Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 4th October 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Andrea Jenkyns Andrea Jenkyns Conservative, Morley and Outwood

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what plans she has to (a) protect and (b) recognise local products after the UK leaves the EU.

Photo of George Eustice George Eustice The Minister of State, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Local food and drink products that possess qualities related to their geographical origin are currently protected throughout the EU by the EU’s geographical indication (GI) schemes. UK GI products such as Yorkshire Forced Rhubarb, Welsh Lamb and Scotch Whisky play an important role as exemplars of quality food and drink produce both at home and abroad. The Government is committed to celebrating these products and driving further market access to make sure they are enjoyed around the world.

The UK will have new GI schemes on exit and will welcome applications on it.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.