Further Education

Department for Education written question – answered on 3rd September 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Rosie Duffield Rosie Duffield Labour, Canterbury

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, pursuant to the Answer of 23 July 2019 to Question 279134, what assessment he has made of the potential merits of setting up an independent body to run a student complaints scheme for (a) Level three and (b) Level two qualifications.

Photo of Kemi Badenoch Kemi Badenoch The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Education

Students with concerns about their education already have several options available to them.

If a student studying at an Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) funded further education college, or other provider, has any general concerns they should first issue a formal written complaint to their college or provider. If the student remains dissatisfied after exhausting this process, they may contact the ESFA.

The Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual) is the independent regulator of qualifications, examinations and assessments in England. Where the complaint relates to the awarding organisation, Ofqual recommends that students speak to their college or provider in the first instance, who will be able to advise on whether a complaint should be made to the relevant awarding organisation. Ofqual has its own complaints procedure for regulated awarding organisations and qualifications. It expects complainants to have pursued the relevant awarding organisation’s complaints procedure before going to Ofqual.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.