Travel: Insurance

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 9th September 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Tom Brake Tom Brake Liberal Democrat Spokesperson (Exiting the European Union), Liberal Democrat Spokesperson (Duchy of Lancaster)

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, pursuant to the Answer of 10 July 2019 to Question 272107 on Department of Health and Social Care: Brexit, how many citizens with existing healthcare conditions the Government has contacted to help ensure that they have the correct travel insurance.

Photo of Chris Skidmore Chris Skidmore Vice-Chair, Conservative Party, Minister of State (Department of Health and Social Care)

The United Kingdom Government has published advice for all United Kingdom nationals visiting the European Union after exit day. This advice is available on GOV.UK and NHS.UK at the following links:

People requiring treatment for existing healthcare conditions when travelling should always seek advice from their doctor or specialist unit before booking travel.

The Government has always advised UK citizens to take out comprehensive travel insurance when going overseas, both to EU and non-EU destinations. The European Healthcare Insurance Card is not an alternative to travel insurance and we have always advised that individuals should have both when travelling abroad.

People with existing healthcare conditions are advised talk with their general practitioner or healthcare provider, as well as their insurer about how to get the right cover, and how this might affect their travel.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.