Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 3rd September 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Grahame Morris Grahame Morris Labour, Easington

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, which public body is responsible for providing support to cancer patients to access radiotherapy when those people live long distances from radiotherapy centres.

Photo of Jo Churchill Jo Churchill The Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Health and Social Care

It is possible for patients receiving radiotherapy treatment to get a grant towards travel expenses. People on low incomes may be able to claim the costs from the Department for Work and Pensions through the Universal Credit or Personal Independence Payment schemes.

If a patient is referred to hospital or other National Health Service premises for specialist NHS treatment or diagnostic tests by a primary care professional, they may be able to claim a refund of reasonable travel costs under the Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme. Information regarding who is eligible for a refund as part of this scheme can be found at the following link:

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.