Sign Language: Education

Department for Education written question – answered on 2nd August 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi Labour, Slough

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what assessment she has made of the effect of the cost of learning BSL on take up of those courses.

Photo of Kemi Badenoch Kemi Badenoch The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Education

Holding answer received on 25 July 2019

The government currently provides funding for adult learners aged 19 and over to undertake British Sign Language (BSL) qualifications through the Adult Education Budget (AEB), up to and including level 2. BSL forms part of the flexible local offer (non-statutory) and qualifications are either fully funded (if the learner is unemployed or participating in the low wage trial) or co-funded depending on the age, prior achievement and employment status of the learner. BSL qualifications at level 3 and above can be funded through an Advanced Learner Loan.

We have not undertaken any recent assessment of the impact of costs on learners looking to participate in BSL courses, therefore we are unable provide a formal assessment of the impacts of cost on participation levels. However, the department publishes the National Aims Report showing the number of further education and skills enrolments by individual learning aim, broken down by different type of provision including BSL aims. Only aims with 50 or more enrolments per year are included in this report. This report can be found at the following link:

From the start of the 2019/20 academic year approximately 50% of the AEB will be devolved to 6 Mayoral Combined Authorities (MCAs) and delegated to the Mayor of London acting through the Greater London Authority (GLA). From that date the MCAs/GLA will be responsible for commissioning and funding AEB provision for learners in their areas. The Education and Skills Funding Agency will be responsible for funding AEB provision, including BSL provision, for learners in non-devolved areas.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.