Personal Independence Payment: West Yorkshire

Ministry of Justice written question – answered on 2nd August 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Scriven Lord Scriven Liberal Democrat

To ask Her Majesty's Government (1) how many, and (2) what percentage of, Personal Independence Payment Appeals have been successful in West Yorkshire in the last 24 months.

Photo of Lord Keen of Elie Lord Keen of Elie The Advocate-General for Scotland, Lords Spokesperson (Ministry of Justice)

The information requested is set out in the table below.

Number and percentage of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)1 appeals decided in favour of the appellant in West Yorkshire2 in the last 24 months for which data are available.

No of Decisions in Favour3

% Decision in Favour4

April 2017 to March 2019



1PIP (New Claim Appeals), which replaced Disability Living Allowance was introduced on 8 April 2013, also includes Disability Living Allowance Reassessed cases.

2Social Security and Child Support (SSCS) data are recorded by the office that dealt with the case, and if the case went to oral hearing, the location of the tribunal hearing, normally the hearing venue nearest to the appellant’s home address. Cases relating to West Yorkshire are attributed to the following SSCS venues: Bradford, Leeds, Huddersfield and Wakefield.

3Decisions in favour - those cases where the original decision is revised in favour of the appellant.

4Percentage in favour calculated as the number in favour as a percentage of those cleared at a tribunal hearing. Cases cleared at hearing include some withdrawals.

Although care is taken when processing and analysing the data, the details are subject to inaccuracies inherent in any large-scale case management system and are the best data that are available. These data may differ slightly from those in the published statistics as these data were run on a different date.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.