Children: Maintenance

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 29th July 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Marion Fellows Marion Fellows SNP Whip, Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Small Business, Enterprise and Innovation)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what her Department's criteria is for registering the child maintenance debt of a non-resident parent with credit rating agencies.

Photo of Will Quince Will Quince The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

This information is provided in our internal procedures. It is a discretionary decision and intended as a deterrent measure on those who may otherwise choose to evade maintenance payments, so getting more money flowing to the children and separated parents who need it.

We can consider referral to a Credit Reference Agency (CRA) in the following circumstance:

  • when a Liability Order is in force against the non-resident
  • 21 days (plus postage timing and 2 days) have passed since a written notice was posted to the Paying Parent advising them that we intend to supply information about them to a CRA
  • the welfare of the child has been considered
  • the Paying Parent has not agreed to a payment agreement where the outstanding amount will be repaid in line with our debt steer, of 2 years

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.