Veterans: Advisory Services

Ministry of Defence written question – answered on 22nd July 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi Labour, Slough

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what recent steps her Department has taken to ensure that service members are directed to support services if required when leaving the armed forces.

Photo of Tobias Ellwood Tobias Ellwood The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Defence

We already offer every Service leaver assistance with their transition when they leave us, through our Armed Forces' resettlement provision and the Career Transition Partnership. However, for a small proportion who still face problems, it is right to offer additional support.

We are introducing a new holistic transition policy relating to the significant life changing processes which affect both the Service person and their immediate family through the entire time they are within or connected to the Armed Forces, through to discharge and beyond. This is to support successful transition into civilian life.

In conjunction with this new policy, we are creating a new organisation to deliver further support to those Service leavers who face the greatest challenges to making a successful transition when they leave the Armed Forces. The service will be available to all leavers and will be based on the need of the individual.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.