Cannabis: Medical Treatments

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 22nd July 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Ian Blackford Ian Blackford SNP Westminster Leader

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, how many UK companies have been issued with a licence to sell cannabis products for the NHS.

Photo of Seema Kennedy Seema Kennedy The Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Health and Social Care

Any company meeting the standards for the manufacture of unlicensed medicinal products, can supply cannabis-based products for medicinal use.

Cannabis-based products for medicinal use are Schedule 2 controlled drugs under the Misuse of Drugs Regulations 2001, which means that manufacturers, importers and distributors of these products must hold valid Home Office and Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) licences for the relevant activities which will include possession, supply and production of controlled drugs. Where products are sourced from abroad, importers must obtain an import licence from the Home Office and the MHRA each time they import these products.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No11 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.