HIV Infection: Drugs

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 18th July 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Neil Coyle Neil Coyle Labour, Bermondsey and Old Southwark

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what steps his Department is taking to advertise extra places on the PrEP Impact trial to people who are at risk of HIV.

Photo of Seema Kennedy Seema Kennedy The Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Health and Social Care

The pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) Impact Trial is managed by the Trial Sponsor. Recruitment to places in the Trial is managed locally by participating clinics. All information regarding the Trial, including the research clinics which are open to recruitment is available at the following link:

https://www.prepimpacttrial.org.uk/

Following funding from NHS England to pay for extra PrEP drug and research costs and the Secretary of State’s announcement on 30 January that the number of places on the PrEP Impact Trial would be doubled to 26,000, expansion of the Trial is now underway across the country.

In London, boroughs have so far agreed to accept 60% of the total number of additional places available to them, which equates to over 4,000 extra places on the Trial. London local authority commissioners have been asked to confirm that they will accept the remaining 40% of additional places available to them by the end of August at the latest. Participation in the Trial is on a voluntary basis and it is for research clinics and local authorities to decide whether they wish to take part.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.