British Nationals Abroad: EU Countries

Department for Exiting the European Union written question – answered on 17th July 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Neil O'Brien Neil O'Brien Conservative, Harborough

To ask the Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, what unilateral arrangements for the rights of UK citizens living in other EU member states have been put in place in each of those other member states.

Photo of Robin Walker Robin Walker The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union

The UK government has been clear that in any scenario, including no deal, EU citizens and their family members living here by exit day will be able to stay. EU citizens resident in the UK by exit day are able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to secure their status. The scheme fully opened on 30 March and so far over 800,000 applicants have applied. Applications to the scheme are free.

Following extensive engagement by the Government, we are pleased that all Member States have now made commitments to protect the rights of UK nationals in the EU and have guaranteed that UK nationals legally resident by exit day will be able to stay. We continue to encourage Member States to fully reciprocate our offer and communicate plans as soon as possible.

The EU Commission have published details of each Member State’s unilateral measures on Furthermore, UK nationals can find details of each system on the FCO “living in guides” on

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.