British Nationals Abroad: EU Countries

Department for Exiting the European Union written question – answered on 17th July 2019.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Neil O'Brien Neil O'Brien Conservative, Harborough

To ask the Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, which non-UK EU member states have not announced unilateral arrangements for (a) the rights of resident UK nationals and (b) UK nationals to work in those countries in the event that the UK leaves the EU without an agreement.

Photo of Robin Walker Robin Walker The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union

Following extensive engagement by the Government, we are pleased that all Member States have now made commitments to protect the residence rights of UK nationals in a no deal scenario, albeit to varying degrees of detail. The EU Commission has published details at:

Member States have also made some unilateral commitments to protect the right to work, study, and access to benefits and services in a no deal scenario. For example Poland has committed to offering permanent residency covering the right to work and Malta will create a new ‘ad hoc’ status allowing UK nationals to work without a permit. To understand the extent to which each Member State has put in place protections, UK nationals should visit the FCO “living in guides” on and the relevant web pages of their host countries.

We continue to engage our EU counterparts to encourage full reciprocity of our offer to EU citizens in the UK, in which they will continue to be able to work, study, and access benefits and services in a no deal exit as they can today.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.